We are looking for an Assistant Controller who will report directly to our Controller. Compensation commensurate with experience.
· Setting up new employees in payroll module. Ensure that address and social security numbers are accurate. Make sure that all paperwork is in the employee’s file including offer letter and resume if applicable. Ensure that copies of relevant documents are added to the employee’s file as the need arises.
· Maintain payroll rate tables in the accounting system to ensure that the correct amount of taxes, fringes, burdens and deductions are processed.
· Run background checks and MVR reports on employees where required.
· Oversee payroll weekly for 350+ employees. Prepare checks and/or direct deposits as applicable.
· Process child support payments weekly.
· Run special payrolls including pay adjustments and terminations as required
· Prepare COBRA letters when Controller is unable to do so.
· Prepare union fringe reports monthly and ensure that the proper deposits are made into the various union accounts. Support union audits as they arise.
· Prepare quarterly payroll reports including form 941 and state unemployment
· Prepare annual reports including FUTA (federal unemployment), W-2 and 1095C
· Support annual payroll audits performed by GL and WC insurers.
· Interface with the Texas Workforce Commission to provide separation information in support of State Unemployment tax determinations.
Job Cost Duties:
· Assign job numbers to new jobs and set up job files
· Enter initial budgets, CPs (change proposals) and estimate revisions after they have been approved.
· Enter customer change orders as they are received from customers. Ensure that the contract amount in the job cost module reconciles to the customer’s change orders
· Notify Controller and PM staff if CPs don’t match customer change order, if job is billed in excess of the contract value, or if cost in the job exceeds the budget. Perform other types of cost analysis on job cost as required.
· Run job cost reports for project managers and others weekly or as required
· Participate in monthly job cost review meetings.
· Process percentage completion updates for the Service division
Accounts Receivable Duties:
· Post customer invoices into AR as required, ensuring that cumulative billed amounts and retainage identified on the invoice are reconciled to those amounts in job cost. Notify project management personnel if discrepancies arise.
· Check sales tax on each invoice as required. Notify the person that prepared the invoice if there is a discrepancy.
· Oversee the sending of notices and filing of liens to protect our rights when customer payments are not received timely. Coordinate all notices and liens with President/COO.
· Assist in collections efforts as needed or if requested by operations or service department.
Accounts Payable Duties:
· Oversee the accounts payable and subcontracts payable functions.
· Ensure that supplier invoices are approved, processed, and paid in a timely fashion.
· Ensure that supplier statements are reviewed periodically to identify missed or lost invoices before it becomes a problem.
· Assist in resolving disputed invoices.
· Help maintain a good relationship with suppliers while holding them accountable for their responsibilities.
· Follow Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
· Assist Controller as required.
· Ensure that someone in accounting is running backups daily.
· Run daily system balancing reports and correct any discrepancies that are identified.
· Oversee accounting department activities when Controller is not present.
· Assist in training other accounting department employees.
· Prepare and post inventory transfers to job cost monthly.
· Oversee petty cash fund and post transactions to accounting system at least monthly.
· Coordinate annual document archiving and shredding.
· Support annual audit by independent auditors.
· Support annual audit by bank in support of line of credit account.
· Assist with monthly bank account reconciliations.
· Participate in initiatives to modernize accounting processes which includes upgrading to a new accounting system (COINS) and reducing/eliminating the amount of paper used and stored in favor of electronic archiving of documents.
· Special projects as assigned.
· At all times, ensure the integrity of the accounting records.
· Set a good example for others in the department, and in the company, in terms of efficiency and work ethic.
· Always maintain confidentiality of personnel and company information.
3 years experience in construction accounting, preferably with a specialty subcontractor.
Intimate knowledge of job costing and percentage of completion revenue recognition.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business
Knowledge of COINS accounting software and/or experience managing a software conversion desired.
In order for our team to consider your for employment, you MUST fill out this survey:
Select Assistant Controller as the position for which you are applying.
About The Porter Co.
The Porter Company has maintained its reputation as one of Texas' premier, multi-faceted mechanical contractors for nearly 70 years. A family owned business, we strive to uphold our core values in every component of our establishment. Integrity, accountability, performance, team, and balance - these are the elements embodied by our top leadership throughout the entirety of our organization. We don't succeed without each other. We work hard, we play hard. Volunteer days and playing an active role in our local community are equally as important. With this comes the expectation that our business is always conducted in a professional manner, with honesty and respect. We do what we say and communicate when we can't, all while maintaining a sense of urgency.
The Porter Co. strives to be the very best. Our dedicated, experienced, and highly motivated team provides full-service mechanical, HVAC, and specialty piping systems. Our clients encompass a wide range of industries, including commercial, bulk chemical systems for semiconductor manufacturers, high-tech fabrication, pharmaceutical companies, medical complexes, and other highly specialized facilities.